Sankofa Danzafro’s The City of Others
Available from February 6 at 8:00 PM - February 13 at 11:59 PM
If you redeemed your Access Code more than 10 minutes before the
start time, please refresh your page to watch the performance.
PLAYER CONTROLS: VOLUME, FULLSCREEN, SUBTITLES & MORE
The video's player controls appear at the bottom of the player when you hover over the video player. More information is found below the picture
Fast Forward and Rewind: When you hover, you will see a blue line with a dot at the end. Click the dot and drag it forward to fast forward, or back to rewind
Below this fast forward/rewind bar, you will see the other video controls.
Left side of the player (from left to right)
- Play button (triangle)
- Volume: Megaphone. When muted, a line appears diagonally through the megaphone icon. Click the icon to turn on the volume
- Time code
Right side of the player (from left to right)
- Subtitles: Click the rectangle, and select English if you would like to watch the videos with subtitle captions.
- Video Definition: Select the gear to choose the video quality (from HD 1080 to lower resolution 480). If your video is buffering (or if there is a spinning circle in the middle of the player), select a lower resolution to use to watch.
- Fullscreen: Cick the final icon to watch the video in full screen.
Sankofa Danzafro’s The City of Others
Through the lens of Afro-Colombian dance and drumming, and shared digitally in a high-quality video recording, The City of Others explores racism and social disparity in Colombia, a country home to Latin America’s second largest population of people of African descent. When Sankofa Danzafro’s in-person North American tour had to be canceled, the dancers and musicians came together in Medellín, Colombia for the first time in months to perform and capture their most renowned work. Based on company founder Rafael Palacios’ own experiences, The City of Others calls for the city to be a place of coexistence—a place for everyone, not only the few. The stirring work of dance theater features dance styles including capoeira, contemporary dance, and hip-hop, and is set to live drumming and song. “We dance, more than to be seen, to be heard,” Sankofa Danzafro’s motto proclaims and the company is making a name for itself in the realm of dance and social change. The company has performed throughout the world and was called “[a] revelation” by The New York Times after the company’s premiere in New York.
Before the event at 7:15 p.m., Subscribers from the 19-20 season as well as current Friends of the Center for the Arts ($150+) and Friends of the Hylton Center ($150+) are invited to an exclusive Artists in Conversation. Details for how to join the conversation will be emailed prior to the performance. Interested in special benefits such as these? Become a Friend.
Access Passes: $15-$45, Pay-what-you-wish in $5 increments
How to Watch
- Access Passes are available for purchase until 5 p.m. EST on February 6 and may be used to view the performance between February 6 at 8 p.m. and February 13 at 11:59 p.m.
- Receive Access Code: On the day of the event, your personal access code will be emailed to you approximately one hour prior to the event from the address email@example.com. (To ensure delivery, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list in your email client.)
- Redeem Access Code. To watch the performance, return to this page and enter your access code. The codes are case-sensitive. For more information on how to view the event, click the How To & Troubleshooting Guide button below
For assistance with access codes or viewing, patrons should contact the Ticket Office. On the day of the event, the Ticket Office will be open two hours prior to the event and one hour after the start time. Our regular business hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Limited free tickets for Mason Students are available. Learn more.
Thank you to our sponsor
2020–2021 Hylton Performing Arts Center Season Sponsor
Center for the Arts at George Mason University
Center for the Arts, 4400 University Drive, MS 2F5, Fairfax, VA 22030-4444